One Piece is a manga series written and illustrated by Eiichiro Oda. It was first published in Weekly Shonen manga on July 22, 1997. Since then, it has gained worldwide popularity over the years. One Piece follows the journey of Luffy as he goes on his adventure to find the treasure “One Piece” and become the Pirate King. However, this article is not on the Pirate King. The center point is Marco, the Pheonix.
As the series progressed, we got introduced to many new characters. One Piece has a diverse set of characters where each of them is unique in their own way. Marco is one such character having the power of one of the rarest Devil Fruit. Recently, Marco has risen to prominence with his heroics against King and Queen. Today, in this article we are going to discuss him and his abilities.
Who is Marco (One Piece) –
Marco is the former 1st division commander of the Whitebeard Pirates. Initially, he started as an apprentice on the crew. He was extremely young and just 15 at the time when the crew visited Wano. During his early days as an apprentice, he was curious, cheery, and arrogant. However, over the years he became a cheerful and laid-back guy with an eager and passionate mind towards a vast sea. After his captain’s death, he took leadership of the Whitebeard Pirates till their disbandment.
He had a very strong bond with Whitebeard since he was the division head of his crew. Their relationship was very similar to that of a captain and a first mate like that of Gol. D. Roger and Silvers Rayleigh. We got the perfect example of their bond when Marco was the first person to reach his aid after Whitebeard was stabbed by Squad. Whitebeard was a father-like figure to Marco like the rest of the crewmates. He also had a very strong bond with the other commanders and the rest of the crew. He and Ace had a close friendship and he also trusted Vista enough to protect Luffy from Mihawk.
Marco had a huge role to play in the Payback War between the remnants of the Whitebeard Pirates and the Blackbeard Pirates. He took command of the Whitebeard Pirates and launched an all-out attack as revenge for the events that caused the Summit War of Marineford. Marco had bought his full crew to engage the Blackbeard Pirates who also responded equally and defeated the Whitebeard Pirates. After their defeat, Marco went to Whitebeard’s village and worked as a doctor there.
Devil Fruit of Marco (One Piece) –
Marco possessed the mythical Zoan type devil fruit. It is known as Tori Tori no Mi. Zoan fruit is one of the three Devil Fruit types. It allows the user to transform into another species at will or an interspecies hybrid. Through additional training, Marco gained the ability to transform selective parts of his body and not undergo a full transformation. Marco’s Zoan devil fruit belonged to the subclass mythical type. Mythical Zoan Devil Fruit allowed its users to transform into creatures that are the subject of myth and legend. It is the rarest and most powerful type of Zoan. Marco’s Devil Fruit allowed him to transform into a phoenix and a human-phoenix hybrid at will which gave him the nickname ” Marco the Phoenix“.
Devil Fruit Abilities –
- It granted Marco the power to transform into a phoenix and a human-phoenix hybrid at will.
- Marco trained further to regulate his transformation to selective parts of his body. It allowed him to morph his arms and legs into wings and bird legs respectively.
- It boosts his physical abilities granting him great strength along with the ability to fly. It also generates a set of sharp bird talons at his feet that can be used to deal with slashing damage.
- Marco can create “Blue Flames of Resurrection” that completely surrounds him and are superior in potency to normal fire.
- His phoenix flames have immense healing qualities. He can self-regenerate from all injuries like a phoenix rises from its own ashes.
Techniques of Tori Tori no Mi –
- Phoenix Brand: This is one of the strongest techniques used by Marco in which he readies his phoenix talons in front of him in midair and delivers an extremely forceful, two-legged kick to a target.
- Phoenix Pyreapple: This move allows Marco to transform his arms into phoenix wings which he can then swirl around to spread his flames on a multitude of people and heal them.
- Bluebird: This is an attack where Marco uses his outstretched index and middle fingers to make a dense, flaming swirl of phoenix feathers in front of him, shapes it into a fireball, and launches straight towards an enemy in a thrust-like, concussive attack.
- Crane Talons: This is a melee attack similar to Phoenix Brand where Marco uses his phoenix leg to powerfully kick an enemy with its four sharp talons doing slashing damage.
Power Level of Marco (One Piece) –
Marco is one of the most powerful characters of One Piece. In terms of combat, he has shown he is extremely formidable during the Summit War of Marineford. Even recently during the raid on Onigashima, he was able to effectively hold off and overpower the All-Stars King and Queen who were two of Kaido’s strongest men. In addition to this, Marco has Observation Haki and Armament Haki which makes him even more powerful. He displayed his proficiency in Armament Haki when he was able to physically contact and kick away Logia users such as Kizaru and Aokiji without much trouble.
- Physical Strength: Marco possesses immense physical strength. During the Marineford Arc, he could clash with Marine admirals, repelling Kizaru and Aokiji long distance away just by using simple kicks. He was able to topple a gigantic ship in Wano with a single blow.
- Strong Willpower: Marco demonstrated his strong willpower when he remained unfazed by Shanks’ Conqueror Haki although it was knocking down his lower-ranked crewmates unconscious.
- Agility and Speed: Marco has great agility and speed especially during flight. He saw how we were able to react instantaneously to protect Whitebeard from Kizaru by launching himself in front of the attack.
- Great Endurance: In addition to his self-healing Marco possesses great endurance. He was relatively fine even after Kizaru’s lasers pierced clean through his torso and seemed unfazed by it.
Marco is definitely more powerful compared to other First Division Commanders like Katakuri, King, and Burgess. Using his Haki, regeneration ability, firepower and flight he can dominate over the three of them. Although Katakuri has Future Sight, he has no real way to deal with Marco’s regeneration. In the recent One Piece chapters, we saw how Marco was easily able to overwhelm King with his Bluebird and Phoenix Brand giving him no chance. He blasted king right through a building sending him crashing down. Even against Burgess, he would be able to defeat him with his speed and agility leaving Burgess no chance to use his insane strength and land a blow on him.
Thus, Marco is slowly growing to be one of the most significant and powerful characters of One Piece. His alliance with Luffy against Kaido has brought out many of his hidden powers. Thus, it remains to be seen how Marco develops as a character even more and continues to amaze the fans with his brand new techniques. The latest chapters of One Piece can be read in Mangaplus Shueisha or Viz Media.
Life took a sudden turn for me when I finally decided to watch Kimi no nawa & Clannad. While both of them made me cry and introduced me to this vast world of anime. The Anime and Manga world is an escape for me from this complicated real world and serves as a relief. Being a content writer for OtakusNotes still feels like a dream and has been one of the best things to happen to me this year. It has been a productive distraction for me and I am loving every moment of it.