One Piece has entered its Final Saga which means that all the major characters are steadily reaching the peaks of their powers. Even if it’s the Straw Hat Pirates’ journey we are following, we get enough snippets of other major characters to know how strong they have gotten. In this article, we’ll discuss two very popular characters and compare their powers. Here is our take on Zoro vs. Law in the Final Saga of One Piece.
Table of Contents
Roronoa Zoro: Powers and Abilities
The swordsman of the Straw Hat Pirates and the first one to join Luffy’s crew, Roronoa Zoro also holds the second-highest bounty out of his crew. Along with his captain, he’s one of the only two non-captain members of the Worst Generation.
Powers and Abilities
- Zoro is a master swordsman and aims to be the strongest swordsman in the world. The most noticeable trait of Zoro is his use of three swords which is unique among swordsmen. Currently, the three swords Zoro wields are Wado Ichimonji, Sandai Kitetsu, and Enma.
- Over the years, Zoro’s mastery over his swordsmanship has been increasing. He can cut through almost anything by strengthening his attacks with Haki.
- Zoro is one of the very few characters who are shown to use all three kinds of Haki. The swordsman can use Haoshoku, Busoshoku, and Kenbunshoku Haki.
- With his three swords, Zoro implements a wide range of attack styles including Three Swords Style, Two Swords Style, One Swords Style, No Swords Style, and Foxfire Style.
Trafalgar D. Water Law: Powers and Abilities
The captain of the Heart Pirates is Trafalgar D. Water Law, a member of the Worst Generation, and a former Shichibukai. Law acts as one of Luffy’s rivals. He formed an alliance with Luffy to take down Kaido in Wano Country.
Powers and Abilities
- Law has one of the most versatile and overpowered Devil Fruits in the whole series. His Paramecia-type Ope Ope no Mi gives him the ability to create a “room” or a spatial distortion within which he can “operate” on those trapped inside.
- By using Room, Law can practically do anything he wants to the people inside it. He can slice up their body parts without actually harming them, extract poison from their bodies, and even control intangible things like exchanging their souls.
- Law is one of the few characters who have experienced Devil Fruit awakenings. After awakening his Ope Ope no Mi, Law can apply Room to particular objects instead of only applying it in space.
- With his technique K-Room, Law applies Room to his weapon, which, in turn, allows him to “operate” on his target with his attack.
- With R-Room, Law applies Room to any particular object and can control everything within it.
- Law can use Busoshoku and Kenbunshoku Haki and is also a proficient swordsman and wields a sword named Kikoku.
Zoro vs. Law: Comparison
As characters, there are a few similarities between Zoro and Law. Both are very strong, skilled swordsmen and members of the Worst Generation, and both have defeated powerful opponents. But the similarities between their powers end here. Zoro and Law have very different skill sets and fighting styles. While Zoro is entirely reliant on his swords, for Law, it’s only a matter of weapon.
Their different fighting style would make for an interesting fight if Zoro vs. Law were ever to happen. But despite the tough competition they’d give each other, Law would ultimately win the battle. Not only does Law have an extra edge with his Devil Fruit but he also has the means to render Zoro incapable of fighting altogether.
But the most honest and easiest reason behind Law winning the Zoro vs. Law fight is the clear distinction of power levels between certain characters. One Piece has a hierarchy of power levels that stay consistent throughout the story, except for some special exceptions. The same is true for Zoro and Law too.
Law is portrayed as a rival for Luffy and Eustass Kid, two fellow captions of the Worst Generation. That indicates that Law’s current power level is close to Luffy and Kid, though Luffy is inarguably the strongest of the three. Zoro, on the other hand, is Luffy’s subordinate and weaker than him.
Though Law is also currently weaker than Luffy, he’s closer to his straw-hat-clad rival in terms of power than Zoro is to his captain. There is no arguing that Law is indeed stronger than Zoro, at least for now, and thus, he’ll be the winner of the Zoro vs. Law fight.
We’ve discussed how they compare in certain aspects of their powers and abilities below to make our inference clearer:
Based on Devil Fruit
In One Piece, while having Devil Fruit isn’t synonymous with being powerful, the most prominent examples being Gol D. Roger and Shanks, it does give one a certain edge. Especially for Law whose Ope Ope no Mi is one of the most unique and versatile Devil Fruits in the whole series. The Devil Fruit offers Law a set of abilities that would be extremely difficult for Zoro to counter and his lack of Devil Fruit would only contribute to that.
Based on Haki
Haki becomes an equally important ability like Devil Fruits in the latter part of One Piece. The skill is all the more crucial in the New World where one needs to have extreme mastery over Haki to defeat powerful opponents. Zoro and Law are both proficient Haki users. Their use of Busoshoku Haki is praise-worthy in particular.
However, Zoro has the upper hand over Law in terms of Haki because while the captain uses only Busoshoku and Kenbunshoku Haki, Zoro is also a user of the much-revered Haoshoku Haki. It’s quite surprising that Law hasn’t yet been confirmed to be a Haoshoku user despite his role as a rival of Luffy and a member of the mysterious D family.
Based on Swordsmanship
When it comes to swordsmanship, we can close our eyes and easily declare Zoro to be the winner of the Zoro vs. Law fight. Law can use his Devil Fruit powers on his sword but when it comes to techniques and versatility, he comes nowhere near Zoro who is very much on his way to becoming the greatest swordsman in the world.
So, as we see, Law wins the Zoro vs. Law fight despite the swordsman having an edge over him in terms of both Haki and swordsmanship. That’s how powerful Law’s Devil Fruit is. However, Zoro will only get stronger as the story progresses. As for Law, we won’t spoil anything, but we have to wait to see how much stronger the doctor can get.
Do small things with great love.
Follow us on Twitter for more updates.
Anamika loves words and stories and putting them to pages. She also loves anime, manga, books, movies and everything fantasy. She has been a fan of anime since childhood and her admiration for it only grew with years. Her passion for writing is even more elevated by writing about the things she loves.